After several meetings indoors, finally we held the March activity outdoors at a donkey sanctuary.
We spent the afternoon learning about all the animals that live at the sanctuary, not only the donkeys. We learnt lots of facts and saw lots of animals.
During snack time our leaders asked us questions about what we had been told and asked us to list the animals that we had seen.
Here are our answers:
- Cows eat plants
- Pigs eat everything
- Donkeys live between 30-40 years
- The animal is called a mule when the mother is a horse
- Donkeys are clever
- African cows have big horns
- There are 4 breeds of donkey
- When the mother is a donkey its called a burdegano (hinny)
- Horses defend themselves well with their feet
- horses eat vegetables
- You can tell a donkey’s age by its teeth, when they are under 12 years old they only have their front teeth
- The chickens without a tail lay blue eggs
- Donkeys can find their way home
- Donkeys don’t have fleas
- Donkeys kick
- Pets are for life
- The male birds are more colourful to attract females
- Donkeys eat everything
- The female ducks have brown feathers as camouflage because they spend a lot of time sitting down on eggs
- The mare has longer hair than a horse
- The cow’s name is Africa
- Arthur the pig came to live at Burrolandia after his owner’s boyfriend said to her either the pig must go or he will go
- Horse babies are bigger than donkey babies
- Donkeys are cleverer than horses
These are the animals we saw:
After snack time we went to collect eggs at the hen-house and to hold the newly-hatched chicks in the coop.
It was a truly wonderful afternoon!!